Saturday, March 24, 2012

New toy!

For quite a while I have wanted a sewing machine. I learned to sew when I was younger and made a few things. In grad school, the costume shop had Bernina machines and they were AWESOME!!! Working with Colleen, Marsha and Claire really ignited the desire to sew and create. I discovered I remembered so much of what I had learned when I was younger. Things flowed easily. I enjoyed being in the costume shop. I wished we had more time there and had been able to work on other projects.

Tom has patiently listened to my musings. Finally he offered to get me a sewing machine and a surger if I cleared off my desk in our study. My desk has become a bit of a dumping ground. So I dreamed of Bernina machines and surgers and kept pushing stuff around my desk. For Christmas he got me some wonderful black and pink fabric to use to make a skirt. The desk still remained covered in stuff.

So, this past week I saw an ad for sewing machines and showed it to Tom. Yesterday he surprised me with a teacher model Singer sewing machine and accessories!!! He said he knew I would get my desk cleared and I would have something to look forward to playing with this summer.

I can't wait to try to make some things this summer! I have a couple skirts I have really wanted to pattern (they are my favorite skirts). I would love to learn to make vests/waistcoats as well.

In truth, having this machine will allow me to create clothing I love. It will be cheaper than sorting through stuff and not finding much I like. I'm excited about the prospects!

I'm so blessed to have a husband who loves me, encourages me, and accepts me for exactly who I am!!!

No comments: